Jane Collins Marriage Celebrant and Justice of the Peace


Weddings, Renewal of Vows
Naming Ceremonies 
and many others -

You can submit your Notice of Intention online or print.  

Online is a quick and easy way to prepare the paperwork for signing.

(Please note the form is not considered lodged until it is signed) 

Once received we can then make an appointment to meet and discuss your wedding.


Manually -  You can print out the above Notice of Intended Marrage (NOIM) complete and lodge with me when we meet.

Please ensure it is completed  

  • neat readable handwriting,  
  • all spelling is correct   any errors should be crossed out and initialled..  
  • No liquid paper please

This form must be lodged with me atleast 30 days before and no longer than 18 months before your wedding date  

Section 42 of the Marriage Act 1961 (the Act) requires that a marriage shall not be solemnised unless a notice in writing of the intended marriage, in the prescribed form, is given to the authorised celebrant solemnising the marriage. This Notice is the prescribed form for this purpose.

• The authorised celebrant to whom the Notice is given sends the Notice to the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages of the State or Territory in which the marriage takes place, after the marriage ceremony. The Registrar uses the information in the Notice to register the marriage.

• The Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages then sends the Notice to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (the ABS), which requests information about these matters under the Census and Statistics Act 1905. The ABS records  non-identifying information from the Notice, and uses the information to generate national statistics on marriage and the family in Australia. Personal identifying information is not retained.


1  If a party to an intended marriage is unable, after reasonable inquiry, to state any information required in the Notice, he or she should write “unknown” in the relevant space on the form. To make the Notice effective, he or she must also give the authorised celebrant a statutory declaration stating that he or she is unable to state the information required in the Notice, and the reason for that inability. However, a statutory declaration is not necessary in relation to the information required under item 9, 10, 11 or 12 of the Notice, or the date of a previous marriage ceremony under item 14 of the Notice.

2 The marriage cannot be solemnised until after one calendar month from the date the authorised celebrant receives the Notice unless, under subsection 42(5) of the Act, a prescribed authority has authorised the marriage to be solemnised before that time has elapsed. Also, the marriage cannot be solemnised: (a)  if the authorised celebrant receives the Notice more than 18 months before the proposed marriage (see paragraph 42(1)(a) of the Act); and (b)  unless the authorised celebrant has satisfied himself or herself that the parties to the proposed marriage are the parties referred to in the notice given under section 42 of the Act in relation to the marriage (see paragraph 42(8)(a) of the Act).

3 Section 104 of the Act makes it an offence for a person to give the Notice to an authorised celebrant or to sign it if, to that person’s knowledge, the Notice contains a false statement or an error or is defective.

4 If a party to an intended marriage cannot conveniently sign the Notice at the time it is intended to give notice of the intended marriage, the other party may sign the Notice and give it to the proposed authorised celebrant. However, in that case, the party who has not signed the Notice must sign it in the presence of that celebrant or another authorised celebrant before the marriage is solemnised.

5 Section 42 of the Act requires certain documents to be produced to the authorised celebrant before the marriage is solemnised, in particular: (a) evidence of the date and place of birth of each party; and (b)  if a party is a divorced person or a widow or widower—evidence of that party’s divorce, or of the death of that party’s spouse.  If a party has been divorced in Australia, the authorised celebrant should sight court evidence of the decree upon dissolution of marriage.

6  If a party to an intended marriage has not turned 18 (unless he or she has previously been married), he or she must obtain the necessary consents or dispensations required under the Act, and the authorised celebrant must sight those consents or dispensations before proceeding with the marriage. Also, a person under 18 years is not of marriageable age, and cannot be a party to a marriage, unless he or she obtains an order from the court under section 12 of the Act.